Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Alma 26:12

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 6

Wow, the mission. I love it so much. Everything is going well and my investigators are doing great! Something I have really been studying lately is the importance of goals. Not just as a missionary, but for everyone. I realized that before the mission I didn’t ever set goals for myself. I realized that if we don’t set goals, it makes it hard to achieve things. What I have decided to do is set goals for myself that will help me progress spiritually, intellectually, and physically. Additionally I want all my goals to help me to be able to progress towards the end goal, which is the Exaltation and Eternal Life. When we have our goals set and we never lose focus on them, they will help us to overcome the difficulties and trials that come. We will be able to see them with an ¨I can overcome this¨ attitude. This week I was reading in 1 Nefi 16: the story when Nefi breaks his bow. In that moment there were many trials that were happening to this family, but the biggest one in this moment was hunger. They had no food, nor means to get food. Because of this trial, everyone began to murmur and complain. Even Lehi ¨began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.” But Nefi didn’t Murmur nor complain. Instead, he chose to act ¨And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?¨ Nefi was able to overcome this trial. But the question I asked myself while I studied was, why didn't Nefi complain? The answer I came up with was: Nefi had a vision and a goal, which was get to the promised land. He knew that the Lord would direct him there if he would remain faithful.  He had that goal, and never lost sight of it. So even when trials and temptations came, he knew what he needed to do. This is something I know I need to do in my life, set righteous and worthwhile goals and never lose sight of them. So that’s what I have begun to do. 

I really love Chile. I never want to leave. The Lord has blessed me so much here, and he continues to bless me still. 

Loving the mission,

Elder Kennedy

P.S. Yeah, that’s cool some of my friends are going home before Christmas. President Barreiros actually gave my group a choice to go home on the 18th of December (because of the change in time in the MTC from 9 weeks to 6 weeks) so there were people technically in my group that would have had three Christmases is the mission. So President gave us all the choice if we wanted to go home on the 18 of December (which would be in the middle of the change) or wait until the change ended on the 12th of January. More than half picked to go home in December. I however, will be going home on the 12th of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment