Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Elder Kennedy's Mission Scripture

Alma 26:12

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 1 in Chile


Hey All!
Chile is so awesome! I love it here. My area is pretty flaite (ghetto) but it isnt the most flaite area in the mision. Our pention is actually really nice compared to a lot of the places people live in around here. My companion and I share our pention with 2 other elders who have been in this area for 6 weeks. The other elders names are Elder Salinas from Uraguay and Elder Gonzalez from Honduras. They are super awesome. Elder Salinas and my companion have been out the same time which is a year and ten months. Elder gonzalez has been out a transfer longer than them. 
We never eat lunch in our pention because the members feed us. Here luch is the biggest meal of the day. So typically for dinner we will just make sandwiches or completos or something easy like that. For those that dont know what a completo is, it is a hot dog but on the hotdog you put all sorts of stuff like palta and tomate (avocado and tomato). They are super good. Food down here is super good. I havent had one thing i didn't like. The water here is totally drinkable the only issue with it is it is full of minerals that make it taste really weird, so what we do is buy little packets of sabor or flavoring of different juices and mix it in. So pretty much I'll be staying hydrated by dring lots of juice which is kind of awesome. people here never serve water at their homes. It's always juice or soda, usually it's Coca~Cola. Our daily schedule is really easy. We wake up at 7:30 a.m. and go to bed at 11:30 p.m. (Chileans really like to sleep in and stay up later so we get to as well). Throughout the day my companion and I really are only able to do one thing. CONTACT. We do a lot of contacting because our sector called "Parque Combarbola 2" is a new sector and the other elders only had one progressing investigator on our side. So my companion and I are "White Washing" so we get to knock a lot of doors. Or yell at gates which is actually a better way to describe it cause everyone here locked gates in front of their houses so we stand at the gate and yell "HALO" to get their attention. It's amazing how the people here know exactly which house you're yelling at. I've only been here a week, so I don't really miss American food. The food here is better haha. Their bread is all home made and delicious. And if I ever do miss American food, there is a Lider (Wal-Mart) really close to our pention and that sells American food if I want it. The funny thing about that Lider is it is technically in the mission boundaries of the Rancagua mission. But we are allowed to go there anyway. Im telling you, this place is super similar to parts of L.A. The only diffrences are the big gates in front of every house, all the dogs that just roam the street, and everyone speaks spanish instead of just half of them. 
People here love to say hi to Gringos. "Hi, How are you?" they'll say in their super heavy accents haha it's pretty funny. Chilean spanish is diffrent than regualar spanish. They have their own words and phrases that dont mean anything anywhere else like" flaite, or palta. Or they will say Bacán when something is cool. They rarely say their 's' in words so when they say Estamos listo for example it sounds like 'tamo' li'to. It's cool though and I love it here! The weather is gorgeous. Today was P-Day so we met with the Zone and played "baby" which is a form of soccer they play when they dont have a big field to play on. (basically that's all that's played here cause there are no big fields . We are working hard but always having fun while doing it. I love my comp he is awesome. Also, sorry Renee, but I left my camera in my pention so I can't attach any new pictures, but i promise double for next week. PARQUE COMBARBOLA FOR LIFE! 
LES AMO!!

Love Elder Kennedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment